Are you interested in studying in Australia? The most frequently asked questions were answered by Manon and Ali, education agents at Manoztralia. Help yourself to a cup of coffee or tea and take the time to read the Q&A.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to send me an email (info@manoztralia.com)

Our advice and services are completely free. 🙂

What is a student visa?

Also known as Subclass 500, it is a visa granted by the Australian Department of Home Affairs, which allows you to study and work in Australia for a limited period of time.

This is a TEMPORARY visa.

What is the process to apply for a student visa?

If you don’t like reading, you can watch our explanatory videos HERE.


Applying for a student visa in Australia consists of 4 general steps. We will assist you with every step:

  • OBTAIN YOUR COE: Find the course and the school you like and get enrolled.
  • BOOK YOUR OSHC: It is a compulsory health insurance for international students.
  • WRITE YOUR GTE: On a letter of motivation, show the government that you are a genuine student.
  • APPLY FOR YOUR VISA: Fill up the online application on your IMMI account.

How much is the price for the student visa?

The student visa in Australia costs 620$ at the moment.

If you extend your stay in Australia by a student visa, and if your current visa was applied onshore, you must pay an extension fee of 700$ to the government.

Are there any other costs/fees besides the visa itself?

Yes, other fees are to be considered during the process:

  • School’s Enrollment (Tuition fee, Enrollment fee, Material fee)
  • Health insurance OSHC: ± 500$/year

What do I need (documents) to apply for a student visa?
  • Confirmation of Enrollment (COE)
  • Certificate of Insurance (OSHC)
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
  • Copy of your valid passport
  • Highest achieved diploma (not for ELICOS)

What can I study?

There are 3 different types of education sectors in Australia:


This includes all types of English courses.

General English, IELTS, EAP, Cambridge Preparation, Business English…

There is usually an intake every Monday.

Click here if you want to test your English level: https://manoztralia.com/test-danglais

  • VET Courses:

Vocational Education Training is a short Australian qualification training, meant to prepare you for the business world and start your professional career. Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma are the qualifications you can acquire.

They are extremely affordable, convenient, and flexible. It is perfectly possible to package courses in order to have a longer stay in Australia.

Many intake dates are available. Ask us!

  • Higher Education:

Bachelor and Master are internationally recognized degrees that you can also study in Australia. They are very well reputed, because of the pathway they can lead to (Post-Graduate Visa). Universities have 2 intake dates per year, February and July.

How long does it take to have my visa granted?

According to the Department of Home Affairs, the processing time can vary depending on the sector you’ll be studying:

75% of applications are processed in 29 days;

90% of applications are processed in 42 days for the Higher Education Sector

75% of applications are processed in 43 days;

90% of applications are processed 77 days for Vocational Education.

How long can I study on a student visa in Australia?

Officially there is no minimum, but we strongly recommend minimum 12 weeks of studies.

Theoretically, there is no duration limit, as long as you can explain the consistency of your project in your GTE.

Can I work on a student visa in Australia?

While on a student visa, you can work up to 40h per fortnight. This means, you can work 40 hours in 14 days, and you can decide yourself how you split this up per week.

During your school holidays, you can work FULL TIME.

Do I have holidays?

Yes, there are school holidays. Depending on your school they can vary. You will receive your timetable once you have enrolled in a school.

Can I travel during my student visa in Australia?

You can exit and return as much as you want, as long as you respect the school’s breaks and the government’s travel advice.

Is there an age limitation to apply for a student visa in Australia?

You can apply for a student visa at ANY age. There are special conditions if you are under 18 years old.

Do I need to prove any financial capacity?

Depending on your nationality, the Department of Home Affairs might ask you to prove your financial capacity. Below you can check your eligibility.


What is a GTE?

The Genuine Temporary Entrant is a compulsory document.

The GTE is a letter of motivation which will show the Australian Department of Home Affairs that you are a genuine student who wants to study in Australia.

The GTE must explain your reason(s) to stay and study in Australia, as well as your goals when returning to your home country.

Your agent can help you with your GTE.

Do I need to book an OSHC or can I keep my travel insurance in order to apply for a student visa in Australia?

The Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is compulsory insurance that you need to book in order to apply for a student visa. It must cover you from the beginning of your course until the end plus one month (if you study <10 months) or plus two months (if you study >10 months).

Your basic travel insurance is not enough to apply for a student visa, but you can keep it as an extra cover to your OSHC.

To know more about this, read THIS article.

Can I put my partner on visa? What are his/her work rights?

Yes, your partner can be added as a DeFacto to your application if you can prove that your relationship is longer than 12 months. For this, they need proof of travel, joint bank statements, bills with both of your names…

Your partner can only work 40 hours per fortnight for the duration of your visa.

However, if you are studying a Master’s degree, your partner can work fulltime.

Will my Australian diploma be internationally recognized?

Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees are internationally recognized.

Contrary to a VET certificate/diploma, which is only an Australian qualification and so it is only recognized in Australia.

Can I apply for a student visa after my 1st WHV? 2nd WHV? 3rd WHV?

Yes, a student visa can be granted after any other visa, as long as you are a genuine student. You can apply for a student visa both onshore and offshore.

Can I extend my student visa in Australia?

Yes, you can, just keep in mind that you’ll have to go over the entire process again (school’s enrollment, OSHC extension, new GTE, and Visa application). This means that you’ll have to pay again plus an extra fee for extending your visa (700$).

What if my visa is refused?

We are proud to highlight that we have a 100% visa-granted-rate and we will do our best to submit a perfect application for you.

But, in case this happens, there are two options:

  • You can either appeal the decision with the advice of an immigration lawyer.
  • You leave the country within 28 days.

What is the Post-Graduate visa?

A Post-Graduate visa is an 18-months visa, which is granted to anyone who has studied for a minimum of 2 years (96 weeks) in the Higher Education sector and has been in Australia for at least 16 months.

You must be under 50 years old and the visa costs +/- 1650 AUD.

The visa is only granted once.

Is studying in Australia a pathway to Permanent Residency?

Studying in Australia will not automatically give you the Permanent Residency.

However, some courses make it easier for you to be eligible, such as Nursing, Education and Teaching, Automotive, Social Work…

Permanent Residency is depended on too many variables.

We strongly recommend that you consult with an immigration lawyer.

What are the advantages by applying through a student agent?

Requesting our free help will make your life a lot easier. This way, you don’t have to worry about any wrong/missing information. Our services are completely free of charge since we are paid by the schools.

We like to offer 5-star service and perfectly understand your desires.

After a quick call at first, we will suggest schools that should fit your needs until you select the one you like.

Then, we will help you with the school’s enrolment process, until the COE is issued.

To finish, we will advise you to write your GTE and book your OSHC.


As agents, we have the advantage to receive discounts from our partners, which you would not receive as an individual.

We have more than 3 years of experience both onshore and offshore with different nationalities.

We speak multiple languages (French, English, Dutch…).

Our agency provides one-on-one services and we are always available (almost 24/7).

We like to follow up with you on a regular basis, even after your visa.


Ps: You also support young entrepreneurs 🙂


It's free, without obligation, and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.